FOX NEWS ALERT- Photo above shows stray dogs that have been brutally slain and laid out in the street as a warning to other mutts. The Russians are ruthless on mutts. KIDDING... the strays in the mountain cluster are among the best fed and loved dogs in the world. Here they catch some zzz's and rays just outside the media center (must admit that these dogs' proximity to the media center probably didn't hurt their odds).
I was given a make-up kit and told it was not for me but for everyone who would be forced to look at me. I carry it like a hand gun... comforted to know I have it and hopeful that I'll never be called on to actually use it. On the topic of looking good- the monitors in our booth are often showing action from other venues, including off-air time... I fumbled getting my phone to video mode fast enough to get the best parts of figure skating analysts Tara L and Johnny W during a commercial break, but you can get a feel for what I'm up against.
US woman Lindsey Van had a great 3rd training jump yesterday- 97m, probably top 5. Lindsey won the first World Championships in 2009 but is not counted as a favorite here. She's 30th in standings but has a grittiness that can/has deliver/ed surprising results. Training suggested there's still some spring in her step. Current World Champion Sarah Hendrickson has the distinct dishonor of wearing bib no. 1 (since she has been recuperating instead of establishing a rank on world cup). Coach Alan Alborn wisely had her sit out the first round so they could see what the hill was like for other women first, and then had her start 5 gates lower than the rest of the field for a soft first look and to insure she didn't jump too far (and land forcefully). Sarah looked like she was going easy and did not look great. Regardless, she was very generous with press after her last jump though clearly not pleased with how things had gone. I sense a vise it tightening but hope I'm wrong. Got my first live look at wc leader Sara Takanashi and was blown away. Oddly she was given a run for her money by AUT Daniela Irascho-Stolz, whose "Stolz" surname comes from same-sex spouse. Daniela has been outspoken about Russia's stance on gays and the right to lay a wet one on her spouse if she wants to but was very generous yesterday in speaking with German press saying that the Russian people have been incredibly kind and welcoming at these games.
![]() |
| Hendrickson playing through the pain... generously obliging the press. |
![]() |
| Nick Alexander had to jump first but scored the last qualification spot! |
![]() |
| Leon, Pat, Signe in the house. |
TV is in and out and I have seen nothing of the Games that surround me. Finally thought I could watch the downhill and then... just as action was ready to go- NO SIGNAL. The only channel that seems to have consistent service is Russia 1 whose programming doesn't seem to acknowledge Sochi's Games at all. Soap opera instead of Bode.






No comments:
Post a Comment